Articles of the Society for Cultural Interaction in East Asia
Adopted on June 27th, 2009
Article 1: The name of the Society shall be the “Society for Cultural Interaction in East Asia.”
Article 2: The objectives of the Society shall be to work to advance cultural interaction studies and related research, and to encourage research cooperation among the members of the Society, in order to gain a dynamic understanding of the phenomena of cultural formation, contact, conflict, transformation, assimilation, etc. in East Asia, and to elucidate the forms cultural interactions take from a multifaceted perspective that integrates the diverse methodologies of the humanities.
Article 3: In order to accomplish the objectives in Article 2, the Society shall conduct the following activities.
(1) Hold meetings of the General Assembly, Annual Meetings and Research Seminars
(2) Publish the Journal and the Proceedings of the Annual Meetings
(3) Administer the web site of the Society
(4) Other necessary activities
Article 4: Membership of the Society shall be open to those who are engaged in or interested in cultural interaction studies and agree with the objectives of the Society. Members shall be divided into the following categories.
(1) Regular members (2) Institutional members (3) Honorary members
Article 5: Any individual or institution seeking to become a member of the Society must receive the approval of the Executive Committee to join. Regular members shall have voting rights in the General Assembly and the right to make contributions to the journal of the Society and the forum on the website. Honorary members are recommended by the Executive Committee.
Article 6: The Society shall appoint the following officers.
(2) Vice Presidents (one in charge of the Annual Meeting and the other in charge of the Secretariat)
(3) Executive Committee Members
Furthermore, a small number of advisors shall be appointed to provide appropriate advice regarding the operation of the Society and other related matters.
[Roles of the Officers]
Article 7: The President has responsibility for the operation of the Society overall. The Vice President in Charge of the Annual Meeting has responsibility for raising the funds for, preparing, and implementing the next Annual Meeting, and for publication of the Proceedings of the Annual Meeting. The Vice President in Charge of the Secretariat has overall control of the Secretariat. The Executive Committee Members pass and implement resolutions related to important matters for the operation of the Society. The Councilors inspect the status of administration of the Society, and propose future concepts for the Society. The Auditors audit the accounting and finances, etc. of the Society.
[Election and Term of Office of Officers]
Article 8: The officers shall be elected using the following methods.
(1) The post of President shall be assumed by the Vice President who has made the preparations for holding the Annual Meeting for the current fiscal year, provided that approval for the election is obtained in the General Assembly.
(2) The Vice President in Charge of the Annual Meeting shall be the Executive Committee Member recommended by the organization that is holding the next Annual Meeting, provided that approval for the election is obtained in the General Assembly.
(3) The Vice President in Charge of the Secretariat shall be the Executive Committee Member recommended by the organization that establishes the Secretariat of this Society and raises the funds needed to operate it, provided that approval for the election is obtained in the General Assembly.
(4) The Executive Committee Members shall be Councilors who have received a recommendation from one or more Councilors and have been approved in the General Assembly.
(5) The Councilors shall be regular members who have received a recommendation from one or more regular members and have been approved in the General Assembly.
(6) The Auditors shall be regular members who have received a recommendation from one or more regular members and have been approved in the General Assembly.
Article 9: The term of office of the President and the Vice President in Charge of the Annual Meeting shall be one year, and both of these officials shall be replaced in the General Assembly held at the time of the Annual Meeting. The term of office of the other officers shall be three years and reelection is allowed. However, no officers shall serve more than two terms.
Article 10: The Society shall establish an Executive Committee and a Council. The Auditors can be permitted to attend the Executive Committee and the Council when their attendance is necessary to deal with the items on the agenda. In addition, regular members may also be allowed to attend as observers.
Article 11: A Secretariat shall be established to carry out the operations of the Society (including management of the web site).
Article 12: An Editorial Committee shall be established to publish the Journal (in English).
[Amendment of the Articles of the Society]
Article 13: To amend these articles the Executive Committee must pass a resolution approving any amendment and the approval of the General Assembly must be obtained.
1 These articles shall come into force after getting approval by the General Assembly to be held on June 27th, 2009.
2 The Secretariat provided for in Article 11 shall be located in Kansai University for the time being.